D A D B L O G S
A dad blog by a geek dad with two geeky kids.
A car is one of the few things you will use frequently in your lifetime. This is the reason why many people buy the car that best suits their needs. Owning your dream car can be a pleasurable experience or a nightmare, depending on how you take care of your vehicle. Here are some things you should to ensure your car stays in tip top shape.
1) Wash your car regularly. Failing to wash your car on a regular basis won't cause instant damage to it. However, leaving acid rain, dirt and grease on your car for a long time can result in chipped paint and wrecked metal. You will need to wash your car at least three times a month if you live in a place where there's a lot of pollution and sea salt. During the winter, if you drive along the roadways, you might need to wash your car more often than that to get rid off the accumulation.
2) Change your oil every 5,000 to 7,500 miles. Different cars have different guidelines about oil but their makers all agree that it is best to change oil on a regular basis. If you don't this, dirt can build up and to kill your engine. Change your oil at least once a month and choose a synthetic oil which is easier to buy at any shop.
3) Check tyre pressure. Maintaining proper tyre pressure will keep you safe and will help you save $350 to $700. Incorrect tire pressure can lead to poor brakes, instability, less gas mileage and a flat tyre. Check your tyre pressure with a gauge. Also, make sure that your tyres wear evenly by rotating them regularly. The pressure gauge costs $10 while the rotation costs around $50.
4) Consider cosmetic collision repairs. No matter how carefully you drive, your car's appearance can get damaged due to frequent use and exposure to the outdoors. You can have its pristine look retained through cosmetic collision repairs. Learn more about this kind of car repair by reading the detailed infographic below.
5) Have your brakes checked. Let the professionals do the checking. A grinding noise could mean loss of brake power at high temperatures. Neglecting the condition of your brake pads can cause your brake rotors to fail. Moreover, this can lead to unwanted accidents.
Are you looking for other ways to care for your car? Get its manual and take the time to read it. You can also ask other dads for ideas or look for car maintenance blogs for tips and tricks.