Moving forward build a relationship with your kids. Invest effort and time to get closer to them. Understand their interests and preferences in finding friends. Doing this will make them feel important. Moreover, disciplining them will be easier for you because you will have a first-hand knowledge of the factors affecting their behaviour.
Take note of these discipline pointers:
- Discipline doesn't work for kids under two years old. If they're doing something bad, be quick to pick them up and redirect their attention to doing something else.
- Use motivation and NOT bribery in disciplining kids. You may provide rewards for obedience though.
- Create age-appropriate rules and be strict in their reinforcement.
- Work with your wife when it comes to disciplining your kids. Both of you must be consistent with the rules.
- Be generous in uttering praises for job well done.
- In disciplining teenagers, shift from being a 'manager' dad to a 'coach' dad.